Powered by Blogger.

roz & burberry: a love story

It's no news to anyone that Burberry is one of my favourite brands. It's the one London Fashion Week show that I look most forwa...



It's no news to anyone that Burberry is one of my favourite brands. It's the one London Fashion Week show that I look most forward to (both men's & women's), and I'm always just so amazed at how on top of their social media game they are. Now, their cosmetics line is hardly new, but it was only just this fall that I picked up my first few items from them. This is due in part to Holt Renfrew replacing the Burberry counter with Tom Ford, making it hard for me to locate any of their products (although I do believe The Bay has them now as well.) Luckily, with the arrival of Nordstrom, it was easy for me to get my hands on some of their cosmetics. I will say that I didn't have a great experience the first time there (due to a terribly rude employee), but my second and third time went alright, leading to two separate purchases.

First of all, I've been on the hunt for the perfect high end dark maroon shade- I'm at a point where I'm slightly tired of red, and the slightly darker shades I own never seem to be dark enough! To be fair, I wasn't looking that hard- there are a few NYX shades that seem to fit my requirements, but they were always sold out of the ones I wanted. Typical lazy me was kinda hoping the right one would just fall into my lap....and perhaps it did. While watching Burberry's Spring 2016 show, I was instantly drawn to the colour on the models' lips, and I decided then and there I had to have it. I tried it on at Nordstrom, and it looked wonderful, but I hemmed and hawed for a bit as I wasn't sure I'd get much use out of such a bold colour. Needless to say, I wore it every day that week, yikes!



it's been so rainy that i haven't been able to take pics in natural light- & flash kinda skews the actual colour of the lipstick :(

oxblood + clinique's 'black honey' superbalm gloss on top


Also, with the popularity of ~*strobing*~, I was very intrigued by Burberry's Fresh Glow line. While I didn't want to be so bright that light would bounce off my face, I do like a light highlight or glow, reminiscent of the makeup looks popular in Korea. Now, big confession here: I have always been slightly intimidated by foundation. I'd seen my fair share of cakey-faced girls in high school to steer me away from it, and I've always held the belief that I'd rather spend money on skincare to make sure my actual skin looks good instead of trying to cover it with product. My skin's never been so bad that I've been self-conscious of it- at most, I've tapped on a tiny bit of concealer for blemishes and went about my day. However, after purchasing Laura Mercier's tinted moisturizer for the first time, I was blown away by what a big difference a bit of coverage could do, while ensuring my skin still looked like...well, my skin. I'd always believed that if I ever did purchase a foundation, it'd be Chanel's Vitalumière Aqua, but after watching all of Wendy Rowe's videos for Burberry, I decided to try out their Fresh Glow foundation. In truth, I really just wanted to buy everything- the contour stick, the highlighting stick, etc. The girl at the counter applied the Fresh Glow base, and then a thin layer of their BB Cream, and THEN the foundation with a brush- and excitedly exclaimed that my skin looked so amazing. I looked in the mirror, and even with my glasses off, I was horrified to see how patchy and product-laden my face looked up close. Despite that fright, I was determined to try out the foundation, so I bought it and took it home to experiment.



There were many people on the internet that said the best way to apply this was with your fingers or a Beauty Blender, and I'm inclined to agree. With a flat foundation brush, this product becomes streaky and clings to all the dry spots on your face, whereas with the warmth of your fingers, I find it melts wonderfully well. The foundation is pretty much a perfect match for my skin, and even with the SPF 15, I haven't seen any white cast in pictures with flash. However...it doesn't seem to work with any other primers I own. I'd received a tiny sample of Burberry's Fresh Glow Luminous Base, and loved it, but wasn't sure I wanted to spend such a huge amount of money on something like a base...but in the end I had to give in. It was about this time that I discovered Burberry's limited edition holiday packaging that they do every year- I was, of course, instantly drawn to the gorgeous gold containers. It was sold out on Sephora, but as I was once again determined to own it, I checked Burberry's website, and....they offer free shipping during the holidays! Well, there was no way I was missing out on that, especially if it meant I also got a lovely Burberry box with it!



So here's my routine now- I make sure I moisturize with a cream beforehand, then I apply the base, and then the foundation. After a bit of time has passed, I set it with Hourglass' Ambient Lighting Powder in 'Dim Light' (another new purchase- and I definitely get the hype.) I will say though, that after using foundation/tinted moisturizers, that I was convinced I would never leave the house again without face make-up, now that I know what a huge difference it makes...but by the next week, I'd opted for only wearing foundation on special occasions. I'm not as afraid of it now, but it still adds an extra 5 minutes plus to my routine, and I'm just too lazy for that! ;)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

instagram!