Powered by Blogger.

cream puffs at chewy junior

All my life, I've never been particularly lucky. As a result, I've learned to make the most of a bad situation. Not to be overdramat...

All my life, I've never been particularly lucky. As a result, I've learned to make the most of a bad situation. Not to be overdramatic, but here's the "bad situation" that lead to the topic of this blog post: the soft opening of Soft Peaks. For those who aren't in the know, a new organic soft serve shop has opened in Gastown, and the hype over it has been overwhelming. (As of now, it's officially opened already, but as always, I've procrastinated, and this post is rehashing an event that happened months ago.) You know how I am when it comes to ice cream...so of course, I wanted to be there on the first day of their soft opening to give it a try. Alas, when I arrived after class, this was the sight that greeted me....



Having purposely made the trip down to Gastown, I was extremely disappointed- as were the other people standing nearby, judging by their groans of disbelief. I was also craving something sweet by this point, and considered walking to Bella Gelateria for some gelato. However, I remembered walking past Chewy Junior, which my friend had mentioned to me before, so I decided to stop by. Chewy Junior is a hugely popular chain in Asia, but this location is their flagship store in Vancouver.

Upon entering, I was instantly greeted by Ash, the owner, who was extremely welcoming. He introduced me to all the items on the menu and explained the whole concept of their cream puffs- they're baked, not fried, and are definitely unique compared to your typical cream puff. I decided on a chocolate oreo crunch one, and also their matcha nippon. I can't for the life of me remember how much these cost, but it was something in between $3-4 each. 

Apologies for the bad phone pics. I have to heft my laptop around for school which makes it impossible to bring my camera too :(

So delicious! I'm honestly not a fan of the traditional choux pastry used in cream puffs- I find it to be dry and slightly tasteless, but these were such a treat in comparison. The cream puff itself is chewy and reminds me of a Mexican pineapple bun, if you've ever had those from a Chinese bakery. Inside, the smooth cream complements the pastry so wonderfully without being overpowering. I'm always in the mood for cookies & cream/Oreos, so that one was definitely a hit, though the crushed crumbs on top added with the oozy custard made for a very messy experience, haha. Grab a napkin or two! The matcha cream was full of flavour, but wasn't sweet whatsoever, so the white chocolate drizzle on top balanced it out well. Miss Piggy (me) polished off both quickly, embarrassingly enough.


As you can see, they definitely don't skimp on the custard. Mmmm....I'm craving one (or two) now....
As you can see on their website, they have tons of other flavours as well, so definitely go check them out if you're suddenly craving something sweet while on the go! It's also right across from Waterfront Station, which is super convenient.



Chewy Junior on Urbanspoon



You Might Also Like

0 comments

instagram!